Asheton has been a Realtor for 10 years. His parents were both in the industry, so it was an easy decision for him to move into this field. He prides him himself on client satisfaction and thinking outside the box when helping a client with selling or buying.
Asheton and Tanya talk about listings in Calgary, what gives him a competitive edge, and what sellers should look for when hiring an agent. He also shares why proper home staging and pre-planning is crucial when listing your property.
- [2:10] What has been the best real estate advice you have received?
- It’s free to ask.
- [4:55] On the listing side of things where is Calgary at?
- Equip yourself with the right information. It’s not the same seller’s market it was a couple of years ago.
- Find how your home type has been selling (condo, townhouse, single-family dwelling). Get current updated information.
- [7:05] What is your process like? What gives you a competitive edge?
- I lay out what the process is going to look like at the start. Many times sellers jump right in without thinking about all the parts that will make the process smooth.
- We talk about both best and worst case scenarios ahead of time. When something happens, everyone is prepared.
- [9:40] What are your thoughts on home staging?
- You have to ‘neutralize’ the home. That means to take down personal items and anything else that might suggest to the buyer that it is someone else’s home.
- Part of my package includes having a home stager come to professionally make the home look the best it can be.
- [11:50] What sort of home improvements give you the biggest bang for your buck?
- Painting! People underestimate the power of a freshly painted house.
- De-cluttering. Wasted space makes a house that is large feel small.
- Remove Odor. Every home has a smell, not just pet and smoking orders. First impressions are key.
- [15:10] Asheton shares a time when someone took his advice and another where they did not.
- [19:30] Part of pricing a property is taking into consideration more than 1 avenue. I don’t just look at other homes in the neighborhood, I make sure to check out homes in a 5-10 km radius.
- [21:28] What 3 things would you tell a potential seller when they are looking for a listing agent?
- Hire someone you trust.
- Make sure they have a clear plan with good communication skills.
- Find someone you feel has strong negotiation skills.