Why a home inspection?
- Great way to learn everything about the home (i.e materials, dimensions, systems)
- Learn where the water shutoffs and electrical shutoffs are
- Find out what expenses will come in the future
Average cost of a home inspection
- $199-$750 depending on the square footage
- Average being $350
What licensing do you need to become an home inspector?
- In Alberta and BC, you have to to be bonded and insured with E&O insurance (errors and ommisions)
- Carson Dunlop training is a great school for getting licensed
What’s the difference between an appraisal and a home inspection?
- An appraisal is usually required by a lender to find the fair value of the houses
- A home inspection is to learn about the systems of the home and find out all the details of the physical structure
What are the most important items of a home inspection?
- Roof, heating systems, and foundation
What sets you apart and what locations do you work in?
- Go above what the minimum requirements are set by the government
- Use digital and thermal cameras and very sensitive carbon monoxide detectors
- All reports are submitted digitally
- Always allows follow up calls and visits
- I’ve inspected properties in Cochrane, Okatoks, Airdire, Calgary, Chestermere, and as far as Carseland
What 3 things would you recommend when looking for a good home inspector?
- Make sure they are licensed
- Involved with an association
- E&O insured